An aged producer would know how important your basic sound shaping tool, EQ, is. There may be different reasons to use an EQ such as,
– Transparent Frequency Manipulation
– Colouring Frequency Manipulation
– Mid – Side Eq
This little list of free & affordable EQ plugins inspired us in their workflow towards these different characteristics.
MEqualizer is a 6-band equalizer, with 7 filter types for each band, integrated tube saturation, and harmonics control. It also provides an advanced visualization including a spectrum analyzer and sonogram.
* 9 filter types for each band with quick adjustment
* Tube saturation
* M/S, single channel, up to 8 channels surround processing…
* Smart randomization
* Adjustable up-sampling 1x-16x
This free EQ is great for transparent manipulations and m-s actions, not for coloring.
SONIMUS EQ & SONIMUS EQ PRO (FREE & AFFORDABLE)
SonEQ is a digital equalizer that takes parts from some vintage gear and combines them. A great coloring EQ. Sad that the free version is removed from their website (you may find it elsewhere) and only the pro is available.
* Musical Filters
* Vintage-Warm-Analog Sound
This is best for coloring EQ actions, distorts in a beautiful way.
SLICK EQ (FREE)
SlickEQ is a mixing/mastering equalizer with a nice warm sound. A free plugin to shape and colour your sound.
* Four output stages: “Linear”, “Silky”, “Mellow” and “Deep”
* Advanced saturation algorithms
FABFILTER’S PRO Q2 (PREMIUM)
Fabfilter Pro Q 2 has a well defined & transparent sound with a neat user interface. Like Mequalizer, Pro Q 2 has M-S options and almost endless bands and Q values to work with. It is not really affordable, but worth checking out the demo.
* Up to 24 EQ bands
* Phase Invert option to change polarity
* Mid/side mode where you can EQ the mid and side signals separately
This EQ is great for transparent manipulations and m-s actions even on mastering stage but surely not for coloring.
This list is to show that you do not have to pay loads of money for various quality EQ manipulations.